Project acronym: D3HUB
Tourism destinations (composed by DMOs, SMEs and public-private stakeholders) require EU cooperation to engage in the data-driven journey that the Tourism Transition Pathway entitles. Nowadays, destinations struggle to find the right technology, use data for better management, define the right data and indicators to achieve sustainability, or measure sustainable development. To answer these needs, D3HUB aims to design, test, pave the way and sustain a self-sustainable European Competence Centre (CC) to support tourism destinations and their ecosystem (with special attention to SMEs) in their data-driven green and digital transition as well as to increase collaboration and knowledge transfer between tourism stakeholders and tourism destinations.
Europe is undertaking a profound transformation of its economy and society by boosting and fostering a green and digital transition of the EU industry and its ecosystems with the aim to improve their sustainability, competitiveness and long-term resilience. As concerns tourism, the EC has defined, jointly with the main actors of the tourism ecosystem, its Tourism Transition Pathway which is a plan detailing the key actions, targets and conditions for the sector to achieve this objective. Among others, the Tourism Transition Pathway identifies several areas of actions linked to digitalisation and upskilling, and it sets objectives strictly linked to the creation of a Competence Centre.
- build a knowledge support scheme supporting tourism destinations across EU,
- provide tailored-made digital solutions and data for DMOs and tourism SMEs,
- test the developed framework through a pilot run by a critical mass of DMOs,
- integrate results and learnings into a business plan to set up and sustain the CC,
- up-scale beyond the partnership and build a data-driven tourism community, and
- implement the CC and ensure its continuity. The CC will focus on data, sustainability and policy (while aligning with EU tourism and data spaces) to support destinations with guidance and information related to data management, and business intelligence on how to source and use data and apply data-intensive information to address policy actions and strategies.
D3HUB will result in the implementation of a knowledge hub that will empower destination ecosystem actors to switch to data-driven culture, with the objectives to:
- Support data management and business intelligence for increased tourism sustainability and resilience;
- Enable data-driven marketing and management; and
- Foster knowledge transfer, mutual learning and best practice in data management and data sharing through European collaboration.